28 augusti 2008

The day when my running shoes inspired me

Have you ever been inspired by a brand? Nike - ´just do it´ or Jaguar - ´born to perform´. ASICS has always been my favourite running shoe brand, mostly because it fits my feet so well, and I know that it has the best technology to prevent injuries and maximise performance. One day I wanted to find out what ASICS got it´s name from, so I checked it out on wikipedia and found out that it means "anima sana in corpore sano", which is latin and means "a healthy soul in a healthy body". Just like with phychosomatic illnesses, where an unhealhty mind gives an unhealthy body, we work the other way around as well, a healthy body gives a healthy mind and soul. Inspiring, isn´t it?

Another thing that has inspired me lately is that Dean Karnazes has written a new book (50/50) which I just bought and look forward to reading. Dean is one of the persons I really look up to, and his first book Ultramarathon man was really really inspiring to read. What I admire about him is not only that he once ran 350 miles without stopping/sleeping or managed to run 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 different states in the US, but that he is putting a lot of energy on inspiring people to get more active in their lives, whether it is by running 1km/week, taking the bike to work or sign up for a marathon. If I, by pushing my limits beyond what I know I can do, can inspire only 0.1 % of the people he inspires, I´ll be happy...

Muhammed Ali once said "Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision". 

I think this is not only valid for champions, but for all of us, without dreams and visions about what we want to achieve in our lives (doesn´t have to be sport related of course), we can never get 100% out of our lives, and since we only live once on this earth that would be a waiste, wouldn´t it?

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

Hade ingen aning om att Asics betydde något. Mitt favoritmärke med när jag har råd med bra skor.